Sunday, September 9, 2012

Jarome Iginla - Calgary Flames


In preparation for the upcoming season I am going to feature one player from every team in the NHL. Goalies are excluded because they’re interesting enough to garner a feature of their own so look forward to that as round 2.

#12 Jarome Iginla – Calgary Flames – Right Wing


The Past
Jarome Iginla has set about half of all Flames records and has been an All Star six times. He is from Canada and was drafted 11th by the Stars in 1995 but was traded to the Flames before he played a single game for Dallas.

The Love


Iginla is a really fun player to watch. He is a high scoring forward and aggressive as hell. Plus he fights a lot – which gives him some major bonus points from me.

This video is fantastic because not only does it show some great highlights but it also features Rise Against, awesome band.



The Hate
He’s a great player, super charitable, and there is never drama around him. What is there to hate? Well, remember how I loved that he fights? Sometimes that pisses me off. Specifically when it has to do with Sheldon Souray. Souray is soooo freakin beautiful and I worry about him getting hurt. Side note – there is a shirtless Sheldon Souray doppelganger who I see on my morning run and holy shit if that guy isn’t motivation  I don’t know what is. And I digress…sorry. OK, let’s talk about the Iginla and Souray drama by starting with the dirty hit.



But Souray gets him back. Swoon!



Seriously dude, stay the fuck away from Souray or you may have to deal with the wrath of Saucer and I’m a scrappy little bitch.

Let’s Get Scrappy

Iginla has been part of some really freakin exciting fights. His fight against Jamie Benn is one of my favorites. Iginla puts in good effort but I was more impressed with Benn (who I ADORE) for proving that he’s not afraid to fight somebody 12 years his senior.



Feed the Inner Fangirl/Fanboy 
I’m a sucker for a Captain and Iginla has been rockin the “C” in Calgary since 2003. Plus, other than the Souray bullshit Iginla is pretty much the definition of a nice guy. During the 2002 winter Olympics in SLC he met some people from Calgary sleeping in their car and he paid for a hotel so they would have somewhere to stay. Yeah, he’s the nicest guy EVER!
Can you believe how much I’m maturing? I talked about how nice he is rather than how he looks. I’m really proud of myself…

Ah, fuck it. 




Let’s Mix in Some Swords
Finding an Iginla connection in Game of Thrones was a bit tough for me but I’m going with John Snow. Iginla isn't all angsty and grumpy like John Snow but he is a leader just a good person. John Snow is one of my favorite characters, not just because he’s cute (which he is) but because he is a good guy and wants to do the right thing.
But the most convincing argument is that Iginla isn’t afraid to get dirty and is a hell of a fighter, just like our Night’s Watch buddy John. Yup, Iginla is somebody who I just can’t help but like.


Kisses!
~ Saucer

No comments:

Post a Comment